Friday, May 17, 2013

Picturesque Childhood--Day 17

Today's prompt is to post a favorite photo of myself and explain why I like it. Being fairly self-indulgent, I was thrilled to hop onto facebook and scroll the photos with the best lighting, angles and makeup. But in the long run, memory won over vanity, as memories tend to do. As a blogger rebel, I'm posting two favorite photos because I can, so ha, internet-verse!

I was around ten years old here, with my elementary school friend Pierie. Our friend Juliet always held the coolest, most extravagant birthday parties. We'd dress up, partake in scavanger hunts, and stuff ourselves with chocolate oranges (remember those things?) These birthdays--this house even--inspired creativity. We'd create these wild performances that probably could only amuse a fifth grader. I remember feeling really free during this time--not really caring what anyone thought. It was delightful.


Yep, I'm the doofus on the right

This photo was taken during senior prom. I was my friend Keri's "date," so while all the couples took coupl-y photos, Keri and I decided to make faces at the camera. About three seconds before the camera went off, Keri yelled out "duck face!" I've seen enough obnoxious facebook photos to know what duck face is, but it didn't register in my mind at the time. I instantly went into "fish face," which would probably insult ducks worldwide, 'cause, y'know, they eat fish. I was comparing them to their lunch. Keri went into "looking tough" mode, which has much more resemblance to ducks.
This photo is basically the epitome of our friendship. I instantly burst out laughing, and while I'm missing one of my besties who moved to Georgia, this photo helps ease the loss a little bit (that makes it sound like she's dead. She's not). I can actually remember cracking up so hard our cheeks got red after taking this photo.

I've got a million other favorites, but that's for another time. Maybe this should be a semi-photography blog?

Namaste.

1 comment: