Sunday, May 5, 2013

And We'll Have Halloween on Christmas, and In the Night We'll Wish it Never Ends...

Okay, maybe not. Perhaps we won't have Halloween on Christmas (though that would be epic. You could still dress up as an elf), but this is a line in Blink 182's I'll Miss You. And I do, dear blog reader, miss you (unless you are a blog hacker. Than I probably don't).

Leaving State College, I knew I would be missing a lot of people. I actually started crying when I hugged my father goodbye. How backwards. Last year I was all "yup, uh-huh. Ready to go now." Now I'm all "I want my mommy and daddy!" So I acknowledged the fact that being away from home is challenging. Hey, I was in college once, same deal right? I'll just have to pretend a backscratch and bad puns are ten minutes away.

What I didn't realize, however, was that once I got to Shoshoni, I would start missing the people that I had gotten close with, who were no longer at the ashram. I had a bond with my fellow immersions that is difficult to get just off the street--we had both a friendship and a spiritual bond. But as so many of the staff has left, I started to grow more afraid of change than I had when I was on a flight to the other side of the country. Hmm.

The lovely thing about Shoshoni is that new faces appear and old faces move on to a new chapter of their lives all the time. You don't have to have all the mantras down, be able to do sideways crow and only chew gum on Wednesdays to be accepted here. I mean, I'm a gum-chewing addict and I have yet to be kicked out. I do miss the lovely people I met here--but that doesn't stop my excitement to meet new people. And once you realize you're weaving your way in and out of others' lives, it makes it a lot easier to strike up conversation. I surprised myself to walking into my dorm and the kitchen and just going "hi, I'm Kira, what's your name and biggest secret?" Except not that last part, because that would be creepy. When forming relationships, we're not worried about the forever. We're celebrating the now.

Plus, many of the work study staff are new-ish here as well, so we can have clueless sob fests together.

Speaking of clueless, who knew it was a bad idea to arrive at 8,000 feet altitude 15 minutes before a yoga class then start lunging and down-dogging like nobody's business? 'Cause I sure didn't.

Altitude, shmaltitude. Tomorrow, I'm conquering the Rollin's Peak hike and two yoga classes. My corpse pose might just turn into an actual corpse.

Well, on that note, it's 8:00, and I gotta get ready for bed.

Oh my gosh.

Collegiate Kira has left the building.

Namaste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment