Sunday, May 26, 2013

Dear Reader--Day 27

Today's prompt is to write a letter to my readers.
This is a tough one. Before the BEDIM challenge, most of my readers were my family and close friends. I love writing for a wider audience, but I feel we should get to know each other personally. Because of this, I welcome (and encourage) many comments sharing who you are, why you started blogging, and if you could be any animal, what would you choose?
That's your homework for today. Yup, I'm a hardass. We just met and I'm already assigning you homework.

Maybe I should try the good cop approach.

Dear reader,
Hello. Please come in. Would you like some wine? I'm not 21; I don't have any wine. Perhaps some coffee?

So, since a lot of you are coming in about a year after I've started my blogging journey (or a "blourney" as...no one should call it. That sounds like some kind of horrible wart), I'd like to tell you why I started this blog.

Welp, my favorite genre of all time is creative nonfiction. And while I've been journal-ing since age five, there's only so many times I can cry onto my notebook paper going, "wahhh, this boy doesn't like me; my life is over!" Blogging is a practice in talking about one's life without seeming too self-indulgent and being interesting enough to engage other people.

I also started this blog right before I went to Shoshoni (an ashram) for the first time. I wanted to record my spiritual journey and that whole inner self bit. The blog took a bit of a turn and ended up being rants about jeans and Jenna Marbles, but I find satire to be more fun to write than "oohooh, I'm so spiritual."

I know this blog differs stylistically quite a bit. One day I'm feeling like serving up a dish of existentialism, the next I'm talking about what reality television has taught me. Is there a kind of blog-style you prefer, or that you think I rock at?
Personally, I enjoy writing funny blogs the most, but they also take more time to form. Serious thoughts just kind of flow out of me (in writing at least--in person I'm more on the bubbly side). 

To my readers who have a blog, I would love to follow you! Let's be internet friends. In a non creepy way. I'm fascinated by people and their lives. Again, in a non creepy way.

I like your face. Is that weird?

Sometimes I get uncomfortable in social situations. Let me offer you more coffee.

I've always wondered if blog readers want to know every single detail of the writer's life, or if they prefer to leave some mystery behind. Being a people pleaser, I'll have you know that my first word started with a C and ended with a T, and that it was not "Connecticut."

Maybe if you see me in my natural habitat, it will be less weird?
The 13 1/2 lives of captain bluebear. Read it. You're welcome.
So...thanks for not running away from the insanity that is my brain. You all get cookies because you're awesome.

Cookies and coffee...aren't I a fabulous host?

Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. haha, your letter is so funny. Oh and I'm over 21, so can I have wine and you have coffee?

    We can be internet friends for sure...in a non creep way.

    http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wine and coffee party is of course in order. And yay, internet friends! :)

    ReplyDelete