Monday, October 22, 2012

Things I've learned in college, part 2

I'm midway through my first semester, and I'm hoping I've learned a quality thing or two, not just about foil characters and plus-que-parfait verbs, but about college life. This may differ from other freshmen experiences, since I'm not observing the insanity that is East Halls, but I'm just taking the small things that upon reflection, seem to have a bigger idea to them.

Or I just want to rant about my life in college. That's highly likely too.

1) Mean Girls is better in a fort.
Maybe because it's a childhood movie, or everything is better in a fort, but ever since my "Fort-itude" experience, watching Mean Girls under a few blankets and leopard print duct tape have caught on to some of my friends (although epic duct tape may not be involved). Some people start Uggs and shorts as fads (ew), some start jeans and skirts (cute, but only on Wednesdays...and only if it's pink), and I start fort movie nights where we can laugh about high school and feel glad we're no longer in it.

2) A-Tension
So this one's slightly more serious, but I've noticed, finally after stressing to the point of exhaustion about my grades, that professors don't give a flying fishstick about grades. Have you ever seen a flying fishstick? Me neither. But sometimes it's something I'd like to see given. I've spoken with my professors a few times, and while I've debunked my theory that professors are these other-wordly, high and mighty creatures, I've also seen that as soon as I start my sentence with "I'm concerned about my grade..." they get significantly colder. Obviously professors want us to do well and not live in a box after college, but they're annoyed with that whole "I need to get 100 million percent on this test so that it's fridge-display worthy at home!" The whole point of classes is to think, and to question, and to get out of your PJs. Unrelated, but you know it's true. My professors are even hesitant to give out reading quizzes because they think it's far too high school to try to prod us to do the reading. They actually expect us to want to do the reading, and reflect on it later. A big shiny A is only an afterthought, not the reward.

Now excuse me while I study like a crazy person for my midterms.

 Okay, point taken. Yes, doing well is important, and I haven't quite been driven out of the idea that grades don't necessarily matter. Doing well in some numerical form never goes away, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that the growing doesn't end just because you're getting an A in the class. So hey, if you're getting a B in some of your classes *cough cough* just say it's an excuse to motivate yourself to do some more mental growing.

3) Sometimes, you just gotta be classy.
There's nothing like spending a Friday night with a big-ass bag of Salt & Vinegar chips, some sweats, and a romantic comedy or two, but after too much casual, I start to feel a little gross. Like, after the fifth day of wearing sweatpants, I start to wonder if I'll expect to go to my job interviews in a hoodie. It's a scary thought. So even though the hour of straightening my hair and squeezing myself into an ever-shrinking dress (damn dryers...) can seem like torture, it's nice to feel to cute again. There's only so many times you can shove your hair into a ponytail (especially because my ponytails look like a bunch of squirrels attacked my hair) and say "ah, screw it." Unless you're talking to a construction worker. (yay puns!)

Classiness moment part deux happened on Saturday night when I went to see a production of The Producers with a friend. Normally, we'd been going to the HUB movie like every other person in the universe who doesn't drink the night away, but when an opportunity to see "Springtime For Hitler and Germany" arises, you gotta take it. Seriously, if you haven't yet been acquainted with this song, allow me:

You're welcome. I'd almost forgotten how much fun it was to go to a play. People react more. There's more excitement buzzing throughout the theater. Plus I think it's far more fun to see my fellow students act uninhibited on stage than at a party...and no one throws up at the end of the night. It's a win-win situation. It's just plain classy.

4) 10:00 on a Saturday night is the best time to take a shower.

Seriously, though. The honors kids are studying, everyone else is partying, and you are left to the glory of taking a time un-limited shower. I don't know about you, but I use my shower time to think about the world. All my best "what-if" moments have happened in the shower. When else could I wonder if my toe ring could ever cut off my circulation? Never, that's when. I mean, as entertaining as it is to hear about every aspect of my floor-mates' lives, the silence (minus the hissing of the water) can be refreshing. No one's giving you the stink-eye because you just came out of a 30 minute shower, when the actual washing part took five. It's a beautiful thing.

5) Campus squirrels are ridiculously friendly.
It's a little scary when you think a squirrel is about to eat your face.

So, friends, that's all I can think of thus far for my mid-semester observations, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Also, shameless plug here, check out The Curator on October 24th--I wrote more stuff about college life. I mean, check it out before October 24th as well, since it's an awesome online magazine that makes you think things. And then wonder if your previous mode of thinking was all wrong. Which is always fun.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment