Thursday, October 18, 2012

Take me Home, Cata Bus Roads...

Today, in order to grumble through the absurdities that are my bank account, I had to take the Cata Bus to the bank, and while I'm sure I set you up to read about the ridiculousness of Cata Buses, I'll save that for another time. After fixing everything with a simple single digit (apparently zeros do matter in the checking account world...who would've thought?), I trekked over to the bus stop to take me back to campus. As I was standing there, jamming out to some Katy Perry Beatles, I realized that just being on the corner of my childhood street, I instantly felt lighter and more free than I had in month. I still had the same amount of reading to do, the same number of tests to study for (that being one, but still), but somehow, I was able to take in the stress of college life in a more relaxed way simply because of the setting I was in. I mean, for 10 years, I would ride around on my little pink bike around the block, and my most pressing matter would be what kind of "magazine" I would write--which ended up being a few lines and some pictures.

My view on life may have changed (or I like to think it has since my American Girl Doll days), but sometimes just revisiting a place where you were more joyful brings that feeling of "things are gonna work out." In my dorm, I have daily freakouts about how my future is going to shape up to be, or if I'm doing enough studying, the right kind of studying...if my left arm looks weird because it's more muscular than my right. When I'm home, I'm able to keep more of a distance from those freakouts, and respond to them in a way a (wise) ten year old might: "you get all squeaky when you worry--sit down and have some cake." (No, it is not a coincidence that this is the third post in a row in which I've mentioned cake).

I'm all for new settings, but sometimes, you need your home to remind you not to act like a rabbit on crack over a single test--to just take a deep breath, have a few rounds on that bike with a bell on it, and laugh at life.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. I worry my right arm looks weird b/c it's more muscular than my left....

    ReplyDelete