Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mass-ive revelations

Tonight I went to Mass with a friend, 1) to avoid doing homework, and 2) to get a broader view of religion and Catholic traditions. Thus far, my immersion in religion has been a Month long overview of Hindi chants (but sometimes they go over your head at 5:00 in the morning), and memorizing the "as we leave this friendly place..." song from my Quaker elementary school. Normally I'm fine with skimming the surface of multiple religions, but it can also be cause for a floating feel. Like you're a floater between friend groups, and you just don't have the guts to commit. Two of my close friends are Catholic, so I wanted to see their beliefs from a closer stand point. Also, I think candles are cool, and I kinda missed seeing them since apparently responsible adults are just not trustworthy enough to have candles in their dorms.

Having never gone to Mass before, there were quite a few words I didn't understand, gestures I was still working on getting right when people were moving on to something completely different, and concepts I didn't necessarily agree with. But there was a part that stuck with me. We were told that many of us may feel love, compassion, and spirit, but oftentimes we don't show it. This was worded in the context of Jesus, but the message is strikingly universal. Human beings are inherently good natured. I truly believe we are inclined to feel joy, happiness, and peace, but sometimes we let moods and obsession with small annoyances in life bring us down. And even when we have sinned, wronged, screwed up--whatever you want to call it--every mode of belief sees value in self-improvement, service to something greater than yourself, and joy.

I also noticed that I was previously caught up in resentment because Catholics believed in praying for those who didn't believe in God, or who were questioning. I thought it was finger pointing and accusations of "you're wrong." But even as a person who is still questioning the presence of God, I see these prayers as an act of love and protection rather than an accusation. They want to share their beliefs and how they've been brought up with those around them. Most everyone wants to be enlightened, and it's a kind gesture to show how others how they've found clarity and enlightenment.

Newness can be uncomfortable--especially when 200 people around you are saying things in unison that you've never even heard before. But it can also be a mind bending yet refreshing experience. I was raised to keep an open mind, yet I rarely mulled over religion, thus blocking out many worldly views. I may still be searching for religion--or for the answer to "do I want to find religion?" but in the meantime, it's nice to un-block my brain and experience traditions and values that are important to so many around me.

We all have the potential to be joyful and free. And thus begins the journey to find the many ways to get there.

Chocolate works too. Never have I still felt devoid of joy after eating a chocolate bar.

Namaste.

1 comment: