Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Second Time Around: A Re-Shoshoni-ites Aspirations

So this time next month, I'll be frolicking in Colorado, doing some yoga, and working with the staff to help maintain the beauty that is Shoshoni. While I'm not too concerned (yet) about this sudden change of pace, and it'll be a a somewhat easier transition since I know more of what to expect, I realize that being a second-timer doesn't mean I'll be perfect. Because I didn't know what to expect last year, I made a lot of assumptions, changed my wardrobe, stopped straightening my hair, and tried to memorize a heck of a lot of chants.

My style doesn't necessarily have a permanent "look," but I'm far more comfortable wearing comfy sweats and jeans than flowy skirts. Sure, I enjoy some aspects of "the hippie look," but not all day every day. It got to the point where it felt like I was wearing a costume to go eat breakfast, and while it wildly changed my demeanor, it still didn't feel like me. So it's not like I'm going to show up at an ashram with my craziest party dresses and flashy hot pink jewelry, but I now know a pair of jeans here and there is not utterly taboo.
My "home" style


Also, if you're kneeling down to pick rocks up from the ground and throw them back onto a path, dirt stains are much more practical to get out of jeans than yoga pants.

My second concern (not concern, so much as it is a realization) is that I would love to get some documentation of this trip. I was in a bit of a rush to get photos last year, so it turned out that 1) the photos were not that good, and I didn't capture any ashram-life and 2) my camera stopped working before I could upload the pictures, so there ya' go. It's not like you need definitive proof to reminisce over a good experience, but it helps to give friends and family an
My "Shoshoni" style..."and now for something completely different"
idea of what you were doing/where you were going. I'm not the greatest with technology, but I've tried giving it a go at YouTube videos, and I think it would be epic to film a few hikes, pick-axing moments and such. The trouble is, I would both look and feel like such an imposter if I walked into the Shoshoni kitchen with a big-ass video camera while the staff was calmly chanting "om namah shivaya." I'd have a lot of great footage to show everyone when I got home, but capturing a moment effectively can also distance a person from it. The point of Shoshoni is not to exhibit a lifestyle or to capture perfect moments, but to feel internally the changes and the positives of that life.

So, I'm kinda facing a dilemma here. I'm wondering if I fit in so well last time because I never walked around the grounds with a camera. Do I sacrifice those images for that full immersion? Maybe I should have designated "documentation days" where, 3 or 4 days out of 29 I become that crazy tourist. Any suggestions from the internet-verse?

Realization numero trois is a personality matter. Ermagherd, Kira's blogging about personality, who would've thunk it?

But seriously, guys. Every time I'm in a new place, I give off this impression that I'm quiet and timid and--apparently, and this one shocked me too--calm. I mean, as much as I would love to to emanate tranquility, I seriously doubt that's how I am 99.9999999% of the time. I'm not trying to fake another personality, I just kind of comes out this way when I'm not entirely comfortable. But given that Shoshoni is one of the safest, most accepting places I have ever seen, I would like to get past this "discomfort" block and show that I am indeed, kinda crazy (but in a yogic way, or something).

Just be aware, next month's posts will contain much nature and yogic references. I'll try to keep the internal stuff brief, and let you know what I'm up to! :)

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment