Monday, April 8, 2013

Idiosyncracies, or where have all the good socks gone?

One of the perks of living with a roommate is that you get an objective point of view about your habits. While I'm not a very particular person, I do have oddities that I didn't even realize were strange until I had to share my living space. At least I don't still think walking around in circles while music is playing is normal (something I should probably tell my five year old self...), I'm sure correcting my roommate's grammar at midnight is not much better.

So besides learning math, how to properly write an essay, and that 8 A.M.s should be avoided at all costs, I've also learned that there is an ample list that makes up my idiosyncracies:

1) I cringe whenever someone says "real good" or "I'm going to try and..."
While "real good" isn't even grammatically correct, it's a colloquialism that even my English professor uses. Maybe it's the generation of "relatable" that allows younger professors to have such slip ups, or they all know that we're still asleep at 10A.M. and can't be bothered to correct anyone. There was a time when I went to said professor's office hours and he said my essay was "real good." I swear, I had to bite my tongue so hard it drew blood.

The distaste for "I"m going to try and..." has actually lasted since my youth. If you think about it, you have no idea if you're going to succeed in your attempts. You could try to beat a chihuahua with a spoon, and instead get distracted by a piece of cake. If you try something, there's no way you can predict its outcome--unless of course, you're Shawn Spencer.

In which case, well played sir.

2) I feel uncomfortable whenever Ernest my pillow pet is on his stomach.
An unhappy Ernest
So, before I left for college, I got my beloved pillow pet who is very important because he's Ernest. Heheh, English humor. I do, in fact use him as a pillow, thank you very much for asking. But he is always on his back. My roommate tells me I'm sexualizing poor Ernest, seeing as he's all "wheee, here I am!" But I'm actually saving him from suffocating. So he should probably thank me if he wasn't an inanimate object and all. Whenever someone moves him on his stomach, I actually stop breathing for a moment. Yes, my concern for a pillow pet is that great.
See, he's smiling.
3) I prefer bananas that are not yet ripened.
I don't know what it is, but there's something about a mushy banana that's just....ehhhh. I know they're not supposed to be appetizing when they're all green, but I suppose I'll just be a fruit maverick.

4) If I sleep with socks on, I always wake up with only one sock.
This particular oddity was brought to my attention by my mother. It's not like I wake up, decide I really hate the feeling of fabric on my feet, and rip one off. But it never fails; I always wake up with only one sock.

Which brings me to another point. Where do all the socks go? Does the washing machine eat them for lunch? That's rather selfish of the laundry, eating all the good socks. Perhaps we should invest in some washing-machine-only snacking materials.

5) And finally, when I'm nervous, I pick my nails, but only on Tuesdays.

Just kidding, it's really on Wednesdays.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment