Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hold that Thought! Or, Sticking Through with It

I don't know what it is about yoga class, but it's got magical powers. Before you give me that look that's all "stop talking all that voodoo shit," I'm not trying to claim that yoga bunnies pop out of hats in between postures, or one becomes instantly enlightened after ninety minutes of turning oneself into a pretzel. What I am saying, is that there's some quality in a yoga class that makes the mind calmer, and all the more ready to be epiphanied.

Yes, you can verb that word. Don't judge, said that English major.

So here's the thing. Do you want to hear the thing? Too bad, I'm gonna tell you anyway. I hate holding postures. Even if I'm sweating through it all, I'd much rather sprint through that down dog/chatarunga/up dog sequence a bajillion times than keep at this pose for more than two seconds:
It's kinda sad, but after shaking through five breaths of such a posture, I start thinking of things I would much rather be doing than supporting myself with one leg and one hand. The list includes:
-Taking a math exam
-Eating licorice jelly beans (seriously, who likes those things??)
-Running a mile
-Telling my Republican friends that I watch Rachel Maddow religiously

...Amongst other things. By the time I've finished this mental list, the whole class is "om"ing, and they're all like "I pity the fool!...Namaste." Then I can't walk for the next week.

If yoga class were a gym, sun salutations would be the equivalent of a cardio machine, and a regular hatha yoga class would be the weights/strengthening portion of the workout. Except with less grunting and sweat (usually). With cardio, you feel an instant change. You can start justifying those evenings where you eat an entire bag of Easter M&Ms (they were on clearance anyway, and I promise I won't tell). You're so focused on not, y'know, falling over and dying, that you don't have much time to consider exactly how much hell you're putting your body in. And hey, if you turn up some David Guetta, you won't even realize that you're in pain.

I do love me some David Guetta.

However, once you reach the weights/strengthening, you've got some more freedom to think. You don't pick up a weight and instantly become the hulk. Which is a shame, because I think we all know that the hulk is the most badass of all the avengers. It takes time to build strength. Consistency is key here. You can't sprint through twenty million reps of chest flies in one night (how very Jillian Michaels of you) and expect anything but some very sore wrists. The slower postures/workouts make a difference when you keep on doing them, which means you must keep showing up. 

Yes, this means dragging your butt away from the Ellen DeGeneres show and hitting the gym, yoga class, Skittles racing class*, whatever it is you want to achieve. I know. I love Ellen D as much as the next person. But watching her dance is not going to turn you into a dancer.

Sometimes, it feels like those things you have to trudge through aren't worth the time. In 6th grade, I took piano lessons, and I was convinced I was legitimately getting punished for somehow wronging the teacher when he made me keep at Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway for two months. So I quit. Now I can't even play Chopsticks on the piano.**

Suffice it to say, I was shocked when my yoga teacher admitted she prefers the slower, strengthening postures to sun salutations. But upon further inspection, it makes sense to want to explore through a posture, rather than change your position before you even realize how cool you're making your body look. This is a seemingly difficult challenge in a generation where watching a 22 minute television show is a struggle, but maybe it would help us become better thinkers and all that jazz.

Sometimes, it's the exploration of the tough rather than the excitement of the newness that can be the most rewarding. And just remember: it's the strengthening at the gym, not the cardio, that makes your abs look good.

I'm totally kidding. It's those cadburry cream eggs that will work their magic on your abs.

Namaste

*This is not a real thing. But it should be, just sayin'. How cool would that be?
**I can, however, play the very basic chords for the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. Captain Jack would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment