Saturday, June 30, 2012

We, oui

My best friend Maria and I decided not to room together in college so that we could branch out and meet new people. We made a pact not to judge each other's Catholic or yoga crazed friends, and to make our own connections. I'll let you know how that goes after I get back from dinner and watching Alex Day videos with Maria. I've written more from her dorm than my own, and people know who we're talking about when we refer to ourselves simply as "we." It's like we've merged into an amoeba, although one section is more serene than its sparkly half. It's beyond comforting to have a close friend at Penn State with me, but I'm already seeing our distinctions that could loosen up the "we" a bit. I can guarantee we'll always be friends, because you just can't tear apart a friendship that's seen awkward middle school dances, and that whole period where she wanted to hit me over the head with a frying pan when my only topic of conversation was boys, boys, boys. I think I may have listened to too much Lady Gaga. At our high school we joined the same clubs, befriended the same people who enjoyed building renaissance forts on a free weekend, and shared gossip and stories. And by gossip, I mean each of our big events consisted of new episodes of True Blood, and which cookie recipe we should try next.
A few of our club choices and friends may intersect in college, but somehow we're less intentional about uniting every other second. I'm not entirely sure what God would think about joining a Catholic club just to stay attached to a friend. Maria will gladly watch me make a fool of myself while I dance around a stage and throw in some downward facing dogs, but to the yoga/dance world of Penn State, she's just not that into you. I don't want to make you gag by that whole "going our separate ways" bit, so I'll go with we're voyaging our opposite distances. Still not good? Hey, a girl can't please everyone. We're not going to be attached at the hip, how about that? Or spine. Or any body part.

No comments:

Post a Comment