Sunday, June 24, 2012

College and things

Today's the day I start off at college, and what's weird is I have to keep reminding myself this is actually happening. I've been ticking off the days until I move in, but it's been kind of like a count down to the premiere of Dr. Horrible's new Sing Along Blog--it's important, it will make you laugh, cry, and want to buy a freeze ray, but it doesn't consume your entire brain. This coming from the girl who would start planning her excitement for her birthday and Christmas six months in advance, and I have to remind myself periodically that "oh, by the way, you're a college student." Crap.
Much of these next few days will be getting to know our "home away from home," but I plan on putting a personal spin on campus/downtown tours. I might not know the history of each building, but I can tell my fellow freshmen that this spot is where my friend Megan and I posed as living statues, and here's where I mistakenly cheered on a group of frat boys who were yelling "tits out for the boys!" Don't ask how you mistakenly cheer someone on. It happens.
I'll also be scoping out places to do yoga. I may just have to stand on my head on old main lawn. Out of towners will see this curly haired, bandana clad yoga enthusiast, and think they have traveled too far West. But I'm getting desperate to find space, just physical space, where there aren't grunting buckets of testosterone around me, and, oh yeah, where I don't have to shell out a hundred bucks. That's always a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment