Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seriously adorable

As a fan of all things glitter, bursting into song in public, and just general crazy random happenstances, I've had to tiptoe the fine line between being considered fun and light hearted, and not being taken seriously. I take pride in my hair color, and have even thrown in a few dumb blond jokes, but the claws come out when someone makes the comparison to me. Unfortunately, the "claws" are slightly less intimidating when the stubby nails I do have are coated with hot pink nail polish. Perhaps that takes away from the point I'm trying to make.
Being the comic relief has its advantages--I love to make my friends smile, but oftentimes I do so by walking into a wall, or turning an insecurity about not being as productive as them into a joke about staring at walls (I must have a thing for walls). My friend Megan, who hates having change thrown at her-- such as friends with new boyfriends-- giggled at my comment that I wouldn't surprise her with the news that I'm secretly a three legged creature, but I said this through the feeling that my life was so linear, that I would probably be some fantastical creature before getting a new boyfriend.
Some people are good at being serious. They can say something with so much conviction, that one would believe their claim that the moon was made out of caviar. You would forget to ask how fish could possibly survive long enough on the moon to lay their eggs. Whenever there's a piece of information I'm not sure about, my voice raises about twelve octaves, and I sound like I'm a ten year old talking about quantum physics. This sounds impressive, but since I know nothing about quantum physics, the conversation goes something like "well, I don't know. I skipped genius pills at breakfast in high school. Who wants coffee, it makes you live longer." The last bit is to add in the impression that I'm actually smart, but I end up sending signals that I'm a pompous twat. The British kind, not the American. Why would I sound like a vagina? I should really stop spurting out random trivia. One time a friend told me he liked my shirt, and I said I was going for a film noir look. Really, I just thought it looked cute and it was on sale at Kohl's. A film noir shirt? What, had I just jumped out of the '60's?  
I'm all for having fun and acting goofy, but not at the expense of respect. I'm not about to start wearing all black and talking in thesaurus speak, but up until this point, I've only found a pause button on the spastic remote, rather than an off button. I could try to be impressive by going on a movie date and telling him it was an "educational experience in the inner workings of a strip club" (true fact), or I could just sit back and react the way my first instincts tell me to. Or, as any sane person would do, I could just run the hell out of a movie theater that's showing a film about strip clubs in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment