Wednesday, June 26, 2013

When I am Old, I Shall Wear Feather Earrings

First off, kudos to the Supreme Court for making the right decision! Human rights, FTW. :)

So as a cashier, I see quite a vast array of people. And it never fails, when I wear outrageous earrings, middle-aged and older customers say "those are cute...too bad I'm too old to pull off earrings like that."

That is when the customer is wrong. Because no matter how old you are, if you want to wear outrageous jewelry, you can pull it off.

It's amazing, the drastic change in clothing styles everyone expects and encourages when the shift between "youth" and "adult" happens. I mean, granted, adults have more work responsibilities, and I'm not about to hop into work with some polka dots on. But just because there's a certain business attire we must adhere to, doesn't mean we have to ditch the bright colors and dangly accessories once we hit a certain age.

The number of times I've worn crazy jewelry to work severely outnumbers the times that I've played "normal."
Bought these as an immediate entrance into adulthood


I've been an adult for almost two years, and I still shop in the juniors sections of Kohl's because I don't know what the hell size I am in women's the women's section is typically so dull, it puts me to sleep just staring at the exact same jeans, in slightly varying shades of denim. If it were up to me, these gems would come in juniors AND women's sizes:
But sometimes, life lets you down.

There are sometimes exceptions to this rule. I actually found a delightful skirt in the women's section of Kohl's:
But you don't have to start dressing dowdy and frumpy just because you've turned into the unmentionable: middle aged. In fact, here's a mind blowing secret: dowdy and frumpy makes you look larger than you actually are.

Whoa. I know. Let's take a breather here, I know it's a lot to handle.

Think of who the cool grandmothers are: the ones who own at bumper cars and swordfight and tell their grandchildren to eat dessert before dinner. These are young traits that people admire in older folks. And you know what? Same goes with clothing. I mean, obviously there are boundaries. A grandmother wearing a tube top might not be the hottest decision in the world, but nobody is going to stare at an older person wearing feather earrings and think "gosh, doesn't she realize the cutoff line for fun jewelry is 30". And if they do say that, they're just jealous.

When I am old, I shall wear feather earrings. And you can, too.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment