Monday, July 8, 2013

We Don't Have Techno Fear...We Have Techno Joy!

Not the music. While I do love me some Basshunter every now and again, there's a certain time and place one should enjoy techno music: At a club, post Drunk-O'Clock. I'm totally kidding, guys. It should be post Pass-out-O'Clock.

I'm talking about technology.

We are the guinea pig generation, let's just face facts here. And while I grew up as an honorary guinea-pig babysitter, my fear of becoming one is still a little on the extreme side. We, the '90's babies, are both the learners and the teachers.

When was the last time you taught yourself calculus? Don't answer that question.

I admit, while I started off apprehensive about the computer world, I quickly learned to have techno joy...Allow Eddie Izzard to illustrate:
As one could ascertain from my previous blogs, I'm a bit of a Facebook addict. I mean, when, before the internet, could you see a book of faces?

Every year, on the last day of school. When people obnoxiously scribbled "HAGS" and "stay in touch!"

I've become so dependent on technology, that even when I'm reading a book, I have to stop every five pages or so to Tweet, Tumble, send desperate messages that read "I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT APARTMENT-ING!" And then I wonder why it takes me three months to finish a book.

But then I go out to socialize. Do you know what happens when I socialize? I end up texting the very person whose face I can see. I hop onto my iPhone to anger some birds and revel over that red notification box.

I follow so many YouTube channels, it takes me longer to catch up on their Vlogs than it does to watch the entire Lord of the Rings series.

Houston, I think we have a problem. I'd tell you what it is, but I'm too busy googling Nerimon's face.

And it makes me wonder...what exactly did we do before internet-ing was a thing? I mean, for the love of Bill Gates, I am older than Google! We didn't always have the luxury of searching "what to do when bored." We just dug out the eyeliner and had some fun with poloroid cameras.

Do you remember when this was the most exciting highlight of computers?
The saddest part is, I can barely remember life from two years ago. I didn't have my own laptop until I was 16 (and that is when the jinxed screen disaster began). Texting was a mystical creature to me until 17. But I wasn't desperate to have them. Sure, it would've been nice to not have been so obvious when I was staying up until 2:00 to have pointless G-Chats, but it's not like I was all "Mom, Dad, I'm gonna sit here like a lump until I get a shiny screen to stare at all day!"

Not too long ago, that would've been a request to go to an asylum.

No one can argue that the internet never wastes our time. It would be nice to have some internet-less days where we *gasp* venture outside. But no one can argue that technology always hinders creativity, either. The problem occurs when we can't draw the line between creativity and obsession.

Example: May, 2013, the Rocky Mountains. A certain woman has plans to trek through mountains and do yoga until her ass falls off, but doesn't follow through because of a certain "blog every day in May" challenge.

If I didn't plunge into the black hole of the internet, I wouldn't force myself to watch all the Vlogbrother's videos and I could be writing instead. If it weren't for the internet, I would be writing a hell of a lot slower. If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't know how much weight that one girl lost and how many calories my cake was. If it weren't for the internet, I might not still be friends with that one girl.

So. Do we love or do we hate technology? I mean, Casette tapes were cool, but nothing compares to getting your first iPod and naming it "Oomfufu."

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment