Thursday, September 27, 2012

Technology frustrates me, and other life-related rants

So you know how I try to make my blogs all witty, whose small components all wrap up into a nice little moral at the end, complete with a flattering photo of myself? I try to make those entries entertaining, I really do. But today is just going to be a full fledged RANT (yes, the all caps are necessary), with a plethora of grumblings about first world problems. So if it's not really your style to indulge in the pity of others, you have been warned.

I'm jinxed with technology--let's just face it--a computer has lasted no more than 2 years in my hands. I don't walk around smashing computers against a wall, or demanding too much from them other than Netflix, iTunes, and the occasional Word document (I am in college, after all), but all things technology seem to be able to sniff out my incompetency and play a nice little round of "let's freak Kira the hell out." It's not an enjoyable game, dear Gateway, that much I have learned. An IBM and a Gateway later, and I only have the tale of dying screens to show for it. Seriously--two different computers, both whose screens decide to go completely kaplooey on me? It's absurd.

So after much research that my father did for me I worked so diligently on, I came to the conclusion that I could trust an ASUS. Maybe they were still part of the PC family, but they'd gotten good reviews, and they weren't stuck in the '90s world like my previous computers. It was on the relatively cheap side, and had enough memory that the episodes of 30 Rock wouldn't freeze up every two seconds. It had a shiny screen I could ooh and aah at once again. Life was looking up...or so I thought.

Two days after many-a-happy-dance about the shiny excitement of a new computer, Netflix did end up freezing every two seconds. And while Sylar from Heroes doesn't look as scary in slow motion, it can still be vastly inconvenient when t-he.....ch-a----rac....ters tA-l...k l---iKe t...hi----s. So just as I was starting to lose faith in this lovely PC, I, being a naive believer in technology, shut my computer off for the night. The next morning, after 30 minutes of tearing my hair out, all I got was this:
  Minus the weird reflection of the window. Yup, two days after the notion that I would never have to battle another computer for as long as I lived, and this happens (you may wonder what on earth I'm typing on--all I can say is, in desperate times, you get used to limping through a Gateway that has something against firefox and only charges if you have the adapter cord just so).

So I guess I've learned that I should either live in the 18th century, or I should stop using my paychecks for bottles of glitter and perhaps invest in a MacBook Pro. If a Mac fails me, only then will know that I'm just a failure at life.

And on that note...turtles! (Just to make this entry slightly more uplifting)

If you have any technology horror stories, feel free to comment. I'd love to know I'm not the only one who wants to hit computers with a brick sometimes.

Namaste.

1 comment: