Wednesday, September 26, 2012

ORION part deux

After a month of a completely new situation, it's easy to disregard past experiences that were, albeit shorter, just as life changing. Since my entire summer feels lifetimes away, ORION was beginning to feel like an experience that I memorized, traced over in my head, and re-told without actually believing what I was saying. It's like I read through that week instead of experiencing it. While it can be disorienting to not truly feel that something happened, it's extra rewarding to be reminded of the people that I met, the challenges that I faced, and the pure fact that I slept under a tarp for four nights and didn't die. It's a bit like seeing how to be a little kid again...when we were all silly and sorting out M&Ms and throwing wooden sticks at each other. Sometimes that innate kid-ness can hibernate when you have to write a gazillion papers that throw claims, datas, and warrants like frisbees. But just stepping into that lecture hall and seeing my fellow backpacker's faces made me want to strip all the makeup off my face and start playing in dirt.

It's hard to feel an instant connection with something--with most of the hobbies I pick up, or the people I meet, I find they have to grow on me before I feel comfortable. And while backpacking with a bunch of complete strangers did have its challenges, I realized, only after some time to reflect, that never before have I so instantly felt drawn to a group of people, or my surroundings. Maybe I haven't hung out with my ORION friends since I started classes. But the time without seeing these people didn't stop me from chattering nonstop with them about school, clubs, and the luxury of spitting out toothpaste into a sink.
Excited to finally be cleansed :P


You don't have to know someone's entire morning routine, or what insecurities they had in the sixth grade (or rather, didn't have) to feel close to them. You don't even have to talk on a daily basis. Seeing the other ORION participants makes me realize how lucky I am to have a group of people with whom I can immediately pick up where we left off.


Namaste.

Photos courtesy of Kyle, and awesomely possumly ORION mentor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment