Friday, September 28, 2012

Parallel universes and Catholics...oh my!

Two of my best friends are practically mirror images of each other. They're both Catholic, they have similar taste in guys, and they both have a sarcastic edge to which I always respond "WHY CAN'T WE JUST ALL BE FRIENDS??" They can go hours on end discussing history, the Pope, and how they want eight kids. Eight kids? The only way I could raise eight kids is if I grew nine heads...one to watch marathons of Scrubs and 30 Rock. However, me and another dear friend Keri-- who has abandoned us to frolic in Georgia (sniff sniff)-- are parallel images of each other. We both have an odd obsession with French accents and get tickled whenever we hear someone say in a French accent "your happiness makes my ass twitch" (Watch the film French Kiss and your life shall be enlightened forever). We both dance, do yoga, and burst out randomly into song, in hopes that our lives will someday turn into musicals. What's interesting, however, is that me and Maria are besties, as are Megan and Keri. Is this because opposites attract? Or were these friendships crazy random happenstances that would have been switched if we'd met our mirror images earlier?

These people make life full of awesome-sauce
Sometimes it seems religion plays a big role in common threads, which can be quite a dilemma for agnostics. I am interested in learning as much as can about world religions, but I would feel uncomfortable chanting the rosary in my room when I wasn't brought up to believe what it's saying. Anyone can pray, yes, but I almost feel like an imposter when I try to get it on my friends' Catholic practices. Religion isn't for the sake of fitting in--it's to express your morals, your values, and what you truly believe. So I can't just up and claim Catholicness for the sake of friendship.

I guess it's the same for the yoga half of our friend group. While neither Keri or I consider us Hindus, om-chanting and meditation are things that Megan and Maria would feel uncomfortable partaking in. Yet a farther line is drawn when we reference inside jokes that were made up on our way to yoga, thanks to mishearing a bunch of frat boys yelling "tits out for the boys!". It's differences like these that make me wonder why friendships happen the way they do. In a lot of ways, my best friend and I couldn't be more different from each other, yet our personalities play off each other in a way that makes for a good dynamic.

Maybe in an alternate universe, best friends would have met more similar friends beforehand, but I'm happy to learn about Catholicism history, and I'd always be thrilled to show my friends yoga/dance stuff. The dissimilarities can be cause for divide, or a more interesting group that bounces off each other's interests.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, but you don't chant the Rosary, you say it or you pray it.

    ReplyDelete