Saturday, November 15, 2014

Junioritis: Tales from a Clueless College Student

So there's tons of articles and blogs about the dreaded senioritis, how freshmen are clueless, and how sophomores are the awkward middle children of college, but I feel like, for the most part, juniors have been ignored. They're like that person that you kind of know, and they show up randomly with your friend group and they're just sort of there.

As a junior, I've somehow leaped from "what do you want to be when you grow up?" to "what jobs are you looking for now?" I realize that the security blanket of the rest of college is pulling away fast, and a year is like a second in college student world. A few years ago, I was applauded for not falling flat on my face during classes. Now I not only have to, y'know, not fail class, but I have to excel enough to make my professors recommend me, find an internship or two, and decide where the hell I'm going post-graduation.

Somehow the answer "I'm gonna be a hippie in an ashram for a few years" doesn't seem to suffice. I have to figure out the mystery wrapped enigma that is grad school, but I can't start applying, so I'm in this awkward phase where I have to plan my future, but I still can't definitively answer the dreaded question "so what are your plans after graduation?"

If there was a "year of the person in limbo," this would be it.

Suddenly, I realize that I have no idea how to apply for normal adult jobs. I can fill out food service applications with my eyes closed, but get me close to a resumé and cover letter, and I'm all "hey, what do I do with this thing?" Like, how do you even find careers? People have advised me to get a career since middle school, and now I'm supposed to get one, and the only way I can picture getting one is standing outside with a megaphone going "hey, listen up! I need a career; anyone got one?" The idea that I have to have this all figured out one year from today is just a tad terrifying.

Junioritis gives me this odd feeling that I'm so sick of classes and never want to see a textbook again, but I want to go to school forever because I have no idea how to be like, a person in society. Especially if that requires me to stop wearing Grumpy Cat tee-shirts and to take my coffee without cinnabon creamer.
People with careers don't wear clothing with furry animals


Basically, I'm freaking out for the time when I freak out next year and realize, still, that I have no idea what I'm doing. I at least take comfort in the idea that there are thousands of students in the same boat.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment