Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Don't Knock it 'Till You Try it: Pessimism

So, for the most part, I'd consider myself an optimist. I have an annoying habit of seeing the best in people and try to correct cynicism by telling people to do yoga and drink water (as those closest to me know, when they come to me with a problem, the first thing I will tell them to do is drink water). But the LAST thing I'd be able to do is pretend that life is beautiful, la la la, I never have a bad day ever. While yoga and this whole growing up thing has taught me to be able to breathe through negative thoughts and realize that this too shall pass, I am adamant in the belief that being able to ignore your negativity 24/7 does not make you a better person. Sometimes, you just have to indulge yourself in your hatred of that annoying person who chews gum too loudly or the fact that Taylor Swift's "Shake it Off" plays literally everywhere.

Let's pretend I don't secretly love that song, okay?

I've had this belief for quite some time, but I thought it was perfectly portrayed in Passenger's "I Hate":
My first thought when listening to this song was "this is hilarious; it's pure gold. Why isn't this as popular as Let Her Go?" I mean, I think everyone can relate far more to the disdain of public bathrooms than being all dramatic about love and loss and blah, blah, yadda, yadda.

Not that love and loss aren't important, but that's been done to death. It's nice to relate to a popular singer about hating annoying Facebook statuses like "hanging with my #mcm!"

Like with everything in life, pessimism is best done in moderation. I'm not saying the world would be a better place if we constantly complained about how terrible our lives are, but on the flip side, it's equally annoying to be surrounded by people who are just. so. happy. and refuse to acknowledge that on occasion, it's fun to indulge in life's suckery.

Just as Passenger says, "Yeah I laugh, and I live, and I have love to give/but sometimes all you can do is hate."


When I got back from Shoshoni, I was convinced that if I exuded any sort of pessimism, that meant I'd failed as a spiritual person. I'd claim that spiritual people don't stay in bed too long and moan that work sucks, that they feel fat that day, that if one more person asks them where they're going to school, they'll scream!


Bad days exist for a reason. If I can't give myself a day to cry and watch too much Grey's Anatomy, my "optimism" will soon turn into "biting sarcasm towards anyone who exhibits any sort of happiness."


Sometimes, in order to give and love properly, you just have to hate. It doesn't mean you fail as a person. It just means you're a person.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment