Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Lessons From 2015 (The Year in Review)

So I know I did a Snapchat school year in review not too long ago, but as 2015 draws to a close, I thought I would join the rest of the world and reflect on the good, the bad, and the ugly (but I won't spend TOO much time reflecting on Donald Trump. Ba dum shhhhh).

'Cause nothing says "party" like some good, old-fashioned self reflection, amirite?

This blog might as well be called "oversharing with Kira."

Moving on...

A bit of a disclaimer: This is a personal year in review. Yes, there has been a multitude of cultural and political lessons this year (like, don't elect a president who has the vocabulary level of a two year old, or hey, let's not bomb the French), but I'll save that for another blog (these are the promises that I make when I know there's a project on the horizon that requires research and proper citations. These are the projects that stay on the horizon).

The number one lesson that has stuck with me this year is something that I've been aware of, yet haven't fully understood since middle school:

1) There is a natural ebb and flow to relationships. That doesn't mean you're necessarily losing someone for good, nor are you gaining a bff for life.

Basically, people change. Duh.

Sometimes, the assholes in your life will want to "flow" right out the window. Let them.

2) There is a difference between being considerate of others and letting others dictate your life. You don't exist in a vacuum--therefore, your decisions will affect those around you. But there is rarely a time that you will make a decision that pleases everyone. In fact, there will probably be times in your life when you feel like you are pleasing no one (no? Just me? Alrighty then!). Acknowledge the fact that even when it doesn't seem like it, those closest to you are aware of how each personal decision affects you, and, by extension, them. But don't let that make you crawl to the nearest hole and live in it.

Well this is getting mighty dark, isn't it (hole...dark...gettit?).

3) Be ridiculous.
My fondest memories aren't when I went to bars, consumed too many calories, and spent too much money. My fondest memories are when my friends and I decided to "tour" every ice cream venue in State College or performed an entire dance looking like I was on crack (spoiler: I wasn't).

Similarly, I'm at my most confident when I look my most ridiculous. This may be a me-specific thing, but wearing panda ears makes me think I'm queen of the world. 
The great froyo tour of 2015 



I promise you, I'm not on drugs. We're just that weird.











 I wore these to the mall with my roommate, and the "popular" crowd of middle school girls proceeded to sneer and cackle at me like I wasn't a billion years older than them. Clearly these girls have not experienced the joy of giving zero fucks. 






















4) Sometimes, the alcohol just isn't worth it.
It's expensive. It makes your body rage with a vengeance you've never seen before. It makes you text either exes or the aforementioned assholes who should have flown out the window (figuratively speaking, of course). Alternatively, it makes you fall asleep on the floor and let your friends do this:



 Note: This rule does not apply to Rumchata. It could never apply to Rumchata.






5) Don't do it for the story (or the Snapchat, or the Vine)
The story is not interesting to anyone but you. Especially when every story still ends in "and I was sad and ate a bowl of frosted mini wheats."

I do love me some frosted mini wheats.


 6) Do something just for you.
This seems obvious, but as I've gotten older and had more responsibilities thrown at me, it's been harder to do something that doesn't benefit my resumé/schoolwork/career in some way. And I know that, with time, it'll just get harder. For me, the one thing that makes me forget life/worries/regrets has always been dance. Joining PSIDE (Penn State International Dance Ensemble) has probably made me the happiest I've been in ages.

Can you feel all the feels yet? 

(However, this particular rule can often contradict rule #5, as dance makes for some fantastic Snapchats. Not even sorry.)
7) Lesson 7 is nicely summed up by a quote by John Lennon: "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

I hope that your 2016 brings you happiness, joy, and cupcakes. In that order.

Namaste.

1 comment: