Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Mightiest of the YouTube

Hello, lovely people from the internet! So I have a not so secret confession for you all:
I am addicted to YouTube. I am not the type to sit down and decide to watch a few short clips with the five extra minutes I have. No. I follow vloggers incessantly. I comment on their lives. I try to imitate their hairstyles. I reference Bryarly Bishop and Carrie Hope Fletcher by first name, like I'm friends with them or something.

It's turned into a bit of a problem. But with this addiction, comes great joy. So I thought I'd share the best (according to me), of the YouTubers. Here I shall present to you some quality VlogBrothers, Danisnotonfire, Itswaypastmybedtime, Jenna Marbles, Nerimon, Charlieissocoollike, Bryarly Bishop, Italktosnakes and Ninebrassmonkeys. Maybe they're the most thought provoking, or the funniest, or just something that strikes a chord in the oddness that is me. But being an avid follower of YouTube goes from a past time to an obsession pretty damn fast, so be forewarned: it will suck you in like a black hole.

Without further ado, I present to you, Kira's list of awesomely possumly youtube videos:
1) VlogBrothers--Translating Dance Songs
Yes, this is one of the most recent VlogBrother videos, but it's also one of the best. Hank takes an interesting pattern in the music industry and turns it into something both hilarious and thought provoking. And everyone likes a little Macarena.
2) Danisnotonfire--How to speak Internet
It was difficult to pick a favorite Dan video because he has such a wide range of funny/intellectual videos. But "how to speak internet" really speaks to how our generation works. Plus, Jack and Finn are a nice added bonus. 
3) Itswaypastmybedtime--There's a rhythm to making tea
It's a simple video, but I've watched it pretty much on repeat. It's so addictive, just like tea. 

4) Jenna Marbles--What Girls Do in the Car
This was actually the video that introduced me to Jenna Marbles. And as a driver, I can tell you with all certainty, it's so true. 
5) Nerimon--Alex Reads Twilight (preferably the whole series, but here's an example):
No explanation needed. This series just rocks. And it introduced me to the awesomeness that is Alex Day. 
6) Charlieissocoollike--The Purple Man
If you watch this video multiple times and don't end up singing the purple man song a gazillion times over, there's something wrong with you.
7) Bryarly Bishop--Welcome to Tumblr
This woman speaks the truth. 
8) Italktosnakes--The Nanowrimo song
Kristina has been one of my biggest Nanowrimo advocates, even if she doesn't know I exist. And this pinpoints exactly the feelings one experiences during Nanowrimo. 
9) Ninebrassmonkeys--Why is a Nerdfighter (and so can you!)
You should really check out the entire series, but this really speaks to the community that is addicted to John and Hank's channel, and gives an intellectual, complex look at YouTube culture.
Namaste.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen almost all of these videos! I know your problem, and it is one of mine too, YouTube is so addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my YouTube addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete