Saturday, February 16, 2013

Book Survey!

I found this survey on Bryarly Bishop's page (who I don't know personally, but who is fantastically epic nonetheless), and thought that it looked quite fun, so I thought I'd give it a go. Re-post with your answers if you're a fan of reading! (Or if you're not).

1. Favorite childhood book?
A Series of Unfortunate Events-Lemony Snicket
2. What are you reading right now?
The Casual Vacancy-J.K. Rowling
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. I have this pesky habit of buying books when I could easily get them for free.
4. Bad book habit?
I dog-ear pages, fold them in half, and write in the margins. Yeah, I'm brutal.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
The Casual Vacancy, though it's technically checked out under Maria's card, so if I lose it, it's death for Kira.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to have the physical book in front of me.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
 My attention span is such that I pretty much have to read several books at once. And write several books at once. It's kind of a thing.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Seeing as I'm following like 12 million blogs, yes absolutely. 
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
It used to be extremely rarely, but now that I'm in college, it's quite a lot. I've taken a liking to Wordsworth, Shakespeare, and Byron.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Memoirs, realistic fiction
13. Can you read on the bus?
 Yes--I get a lot of my reading done there!
14. Favorite place to read?
 My bed, next to Ernest the pillow pet.
15. What is your policy on book lending?
If I trust you, go for it! But if I meet you at camp and you PROMISE to return that Sarah Dessen book, sorry (I'm still a little sore about it, and it happened like 5 years ago).
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
 ALL THE TIME. I don't think I own any bookmarks.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Yeah--learned it from my parents. Silly English professors.
18. Not even with text books?
I tend to underline from textbooks. But I'm highly tempted to write silly notes to people who will buy those textbooks in the future.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
Icelandic. JK, English.
20. What makes you love a book?
If it's chock full of metaphors, if it's about people and their lives, if it contains loveable characters, if it contains witty dialogue. I love delving into how people's minds work.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If it's by John Green, if it's well written, if I know the reading style of the person I'm talking to.
22. Favorite genre?
Realistic fiction.
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Fantasy.
24. Favorite biography?
Anything about Johnny Depp.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
*Hides head in shame* Yes...
26. Favorite cookbook?
I don't really have one.
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Fault in Our Stars
28. Favorite reading snack?
Cookies.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
The Hunger Games. It was an agreeable plot, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't particularly extraordinary.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
The critics seem to be particularly harsh on The Casual Vacancy, but I enjoy it.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I wouldn't feel too terrible if it was constructive criticism, because remember kids, the text is separate from the author. And sometimes you need negativity to allow yourself to improve.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
  Russian.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read? 
I'm still a little intimidate by Shakespeare. But the most intimidating reading I've had by far, is Derrida.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Ivan ho
35. Favorite Poet?
I'm a fan of William Blake.
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
3-4
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Often. Too often.
38. Favorite fictional character? 
  I like Briony from Atonement, Hermione Granger, Hazel Grace from TFIOS, Tibby from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Charlie from Perks of Being a Wallflower
39. Favorite fictional villain?
Lord Voldemort
40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
Anything by David Sedaris
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
There was a period of a few years that I didn't dive into any serious reading. Dreadful.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Forever Amber.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Facebook, Tumblr, Blogger, email. TECHNOLOGY, WHY YOU HATIN'?
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Few come to mind, but I heard Perks of Being a Wallflower does it justice.
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
46. Most money spent at a bookstore?
Like, I don't even know. $100 maybe? That's a lot in college student world. 
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Full disclosure: I read the last page of a book before I read it. You can yell at me later.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
 If I'm bored, or a new book interests me more.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
What is this organization you speak of?
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Depends on how attached I am to the book.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
  Frankenstein, which is kind of an issue because I have to read it by Monday and I'm blogging instead. 
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Twilight.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Jane Eyre.
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah. I normally love stories about people and their lives, but this one just dragged on and on.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment