Saturday, August 25, 2012

An ORIONtation to college

Coming back from my backpacking trip, I've learned quite a few important life skills for college: It is, in fact possible to shower in under five minutes and still smell as though you haven't been mud wrestling all your life, grainy milk isn't as disgusting as it looks, and if you're running low on cash, you can always substitute Daddy Long Legs' for mints...but only the male ones.

I may have accomplished the feat of going four days without spraying sparkly perfume all over, and I can now man-handle a pair of cooking stove "spondonacles," but I still wouldn't consider myself a nature girl. I like girly things. I jump to my makeup bag before I've stumbled to the coffee pot. The main difference is that I can now call myself someone who's been out of her comfort zone, and had a fantastic time doing it. Maybe they weren't perfect hiking conditions, but what better time to solve riddles and laugh over stupid stuff than during a lightning drill? Not to mention it's the perfect time to perfect those glute-working squats.

Physically, the trail was do-able. Our longest trek was six miles long, and only once did we feel like giving up when the hill felt like five thousand stair masters hitting us over out thighs. The great thing about our group though, was that you'd never have guessed any of us were in pain at the moment of infliction. It was only after we were snuggled into our sleeping bags with trail mix at hand that we let on we were uncomfortable. It's amazing how much easier a positive group atmosphere can make a hike. It made 30 pounds on my back go from agonizing to fun.

ORION may have facilitated a physical activity, but that was only a small section of what made the trip. Even though my high school was "cliquey" in the sense that the bandies ruled the school, each social type was distinguished and lines were hardly ever crossed. Even those "get to know your peers!" activities that guidance counselors gobble up were excuses for us to roll our eyes at our friends from across the room. Our backpacking group didn't magically contain the exact same personality, but I couldn't be more glad that it worked out that way. Every personality was fun to discover, and the dynamic was such that even the shy sort *ahem* felt comfortable opening up. We had some members of previously nerdy cliques, sporty groups, and those mystery people you're not so sure who they are, but each of our interests worked better together than a bunch of people who want to sit around and talk about nail polish, or tackle each other 24/7.

Granted, I have much appreciation for indoor bathrooms, and dorm life is looking more luxurious by the second. But if I had the opportunity to do ORION again, I'd throw my phone to the wolves (and by wolves I mean storage) and haul that backpack right through the woods. It was the perfect transition into college, and I would recommend everyone--even that city type who's putting on truckloads of mascara right now--to try it out.






No comments:

Post a Comment