Saturday, July 14, 2012

Of Course I am French, why else would I be talking in zhees outrageous accent??

Excuse the Monty Python reference. All I've been watching for the past three weeks is Gilmore Girls, so I've been waiting for an excuse to hear something other than Sheryl Crow's voice belting out the theme song, or sniffles about that boy who Rory Gilmore just can't live without. Heard it, done it, obsessed about it, don't want to see it on TV. Thus, I would like to discuss with you my desire to be French. Or, rather, defend myself, because as soon as I almost get run over by a car as I chase a group of French people, I often get the "you're crazy" look from my friends. I suppose this is better than the "you're dead" look, so thank you, Maria, for tugging me away from the street. The only French thing I would be by then is toast.

Maybe it's because I can't do that weird Spanish tongue rolling thing, or that any culture with 400 different kinds of cheese is one that any sane person should be obsessed with. But I have always felt connected to the air of observation the French exhibit. What's looked at as snobbish behavior can more closely be viewed as sophistication. America is a very "hi, hi, how are you, and I just met you, and this is crazy..." type culture. The French are more wary. They're slow to gain loyalty. People smile at one another if there is something worth smiling about, otherwise they are very reserved and wrapped up in their existentialist thoughts. This makes for a group of people who can write a coherent sentence and other things college professors can no longer take for granted. I, like the French, am quiet and reserved the first few months of knowing someone, and you will probably find me in my dorm room munching on some Brie cheese. Often this is regarded as being cold or un-interested in people; really though, I'm just not inclined to announce where I'm from, how my toe got this weird bruise, what kind of cereal I ate this morning (though I do provide people with the anecdote that I eat oatmeal with peanut butter because it's positively delicious). The French love people. Really. Stop giving me that look. They're just not fans of insta-friends, because that would mean twice as many people coming to dinner parties and downing their expensive wine.

Also, their accents are really cool. If I had a French accent, everything would sound sexy. Even hamburgers sound delightful after watching Pink Panther.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment