Thursday, July 26, 2012

Motivation for Truth

Maybe I've been in philosophy class far too long, and soon I'll find myself sitting in the back of a room, muttering, "none of it's real!" I've been a firm believer in simple minded facts--as long as they're not suffocated by x= and y is three less than that formula that's coming out of your ears. For the most part, I haven't argued with the claims that physical beings, or objects, or fat men that crawl down your chimney, are real. They're attainable. What gets me is the reality of acts: Did that person really eat an entire pizza because he was hungry, or was he trying to impress his buddies? Did the people who invented black nail polish ever think it was a good idea, or were they just pretending to be non-mainstream? And why, please tell me, are people still wearing crocks?
Motivation drives most of what we do, but I'd always thought that if I could just get inside a person's head--if I could analyze every force that makes them do something--I'd have "the truth." Unfortunately, truth, much to our generation's shagrin, is not easily wrapped up in a facebook status. If we lived according to "truth is?" statuses, we'd be hearing a hell of a lot more surface compliments, and people would actually have to learn to pronounce "cuteeeeeeeeee" and "textttttttttt." I don't know about you, but I'm a fan of vowels in between its consonants. But I mean, let's be real, most people are still figuring out their motivations themselves. Life isn't that line you walk on to make sure you aren't drunk--people's emotions vary. Their ideals change. The truth can really only come from your perception of your surroundings. I've spent so much time wondering, analyzing even, why so many college students think the only acceptable way to have fun and grow as a person is to forget everything that happened that night--like being told just kidding, they're actually faking having fun, would automatically make their actions clearer. I've pondered about why so many guys are eighteen going on eight. I've tormented my mind about what I ever did to my hair to make it lash out at me every morning, seeing as being burned by a hot iron at five o'clock is just no way to live.
We can make hypotheses and explanations for the oddities of human behavior, but there will always be questions following the answers we come across. We're not see-through creatures, unless that new sheer fabric came back into style. It may seem scary as hell, but how we interpret the world is the world--and to quote Theory of a Deadman here, many people's explanations end up being as solid as, "the truth is, I lied about everything."  

No comments:

Post a Comment