Wednesday, May 16, 2012

State of life

The state of life, for many of us college freshmen, is a pretty huge transition, both geographically and emotionally. Some will be uprooted from this quirky little town in Pennsylvania, to huge, sprawling cities that seem to have no end. Some may go the opposite route--to drive through nothing but farmland, and hit a traffic jam with a buggy or two. And then there's those of us who were born and bred Penn State observers, who get jolted into the mix of Penn Staters.
I've grown up yelling "we are Penn State!" at a sea of blue and white on the television screen every weekend. "Peachy Paterno," seemed a staple ice cream flavor. As a kid, I was thrown by the lack of buzz other cities--one that can only be displayed by a hoard of twenty-somethings who were excited, nervous, and perhaps a little bit tipsy.
I may go into college having watched these traditions, and knowing the general vicinity of campus, but I've always felt separate from Penn State pride. It's as though I've been watching a TV program my whole life, and suddenly, with a minor audition, I'm an actor in the show. I've walked around campus at least one hundred times; only yesterday did I associate that with cramming for finals, or in which room I'd be tacking my Johnny Depp poster up on. I may not be quenching my thirst for adventure in the traditional sense, but I view State College differently. What used to be the town I grew up in, is now my town.
I realize though, that just because I'm in my comfort zone, doesn't mean I'll jump into orientation feeling perfectly safe; the feeling of isolation will be present, what with some of my favorite people leaving. It's scary to hang out with friends, and do what we would every other weekend, knowing that there will be a definitive end. One of my best friends is leaving for Georgia soon; while we walked around downtown, talking about everyday life, I found myself almost crying and reminiscing in the moment. It was the first time we both seemed to consciously be creating memories for us to share whenever we were scared or lonely in the coming months.
It's strange to see how one place can be both familiar and intimidating at the same time; it makes me see that it wouldn't have killed me to be more observant and notice a few building names. A few people in my situation complain that freshman year will be like starting the 13th grade. Yet I'm sure we'll go through the same ups and downs that someone from Timbuktu would have coming into PSU. The state I'm in may be the same, but the state of life will be something new every day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment