Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The essentiality of feather earrings

I am a fan of odd jewelry. If you got me in a store with any type of accessory, I would walk straight past the studs, and rage the collection of feathers, neon bracelets, and earrings that look like junk food. This may go hand in hand with my shopping addiction, but it is also due to the fact that I am an appreciator of all things funky. I once got a pair of earrings that were longer than my hair. So that was a thing that happened.
People are usually happy to get in discussions with me about the amazingness of glitter and all things shiny, but there are the few who aren't sure how to react to my eclectic style of dress. And how else would you establish your fashion dominance other than asking a cheetah-print sheathed girl if she got dressed in the dark? Granted, hot pink leopard spots are a bit much; I have reigned it in slightly since the sixth grade. But I still only save my jeans and tee-shirt days for when it looks like the sky decided to throw up all over the universe.
The line between enthusiast and materialist has always been a shaky one. I've used fashion as a conversation instigator several times, and a kind of disclaimer that I'm not nearly as cold as my "in between classes" face makes me seem. But my bandanas and bell bottoms (suddenly I'm in the '60's it seems) are not replacements for my personality. They simply help draw out the exuberant nature for the more shy people of the world. I can leave my feather earrings on my dresser and still act animated--which is good, since if I wore those things every day, I'd most likely get in a tangled mess.
Glitter and neon will always have a place in my closet, and I'm not one to apologize for a style of clothing that is something other than shorts and Ugg boots. Yet I'm also open to an ever changing wardrobe as my personality shifts. I never would have known I adore long, flowy skirts if it weren't for my ashram endeavors. If all I consisted of however, was an obsession with different kinds of fabric and jewelry, I'd get boring fast. So, just as it's important to have several layers to your outfit (especially if you live in Pennsylvania), the layers to personality are vital. I just enjoy drawing out said layers with shiny things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment