Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Places where you become an asshat

So as I've previously mentioned, the holidays do weird things to people. First you're a normal, sane human being, then all of a sudden your face is turning purple and you're screaming "if I don't get my cheese platter right now, my life will be ruined!"

Basically, Christmas makes everyone an asshole. And you thought you were jaded, dear reader.

But what's often overlooked is the fact that there are several places, regardless of season, that instantly turn even the kindest of humans into royal asshats. While I may be lucky enough to have nothing worse than a mediocre experience at the DMV, I've ridden many a bus in my life time, and let me tell you, they are prime asshole territory.

Flashback to 11th grade. I was one of the lucky students who got to be picked up second-to-last. On rare occasions I could find an empty seat, but normally I had to sit at the front of the bus and discuss the nature of Oscar the grouch with a bunch of kindergarteners.

On the joyous occasion that I could find an empty seat, and army of seniors ha no problem telling me that I had to get out of the seat, that it was "Ellie's chosen spot," and you know what happens when Ellie doesn't get her way.

I didn't know, but I was quick to find out that when Ellie doesn't get her way, she tries to drag you out of your seat, and when she fails, she threatens to set your hair on fire.

My hair had already been through enough trauma in high school. I didn't need any 12th grade bullies to worsen the process.

This girl was the sweetest person in our environmental studies class. But get her on a bus and all basic manners fly out the window.

Similarly, one can often find assholes of the adult variety in airports. People literally try to shove you out of the way just so they can be on the plane five seconds earlier. At least karma serves its purpose and makes these people get stopped to be "further inspected," probably because shoving is, y'know, suspicious and rude.

I once let someone go ahead of me in like at an airport and she looked at me like I had twenty eyeballs. It's like being nice is against the law when you're about to jet off to California or somewhere equally lavish.

No comments:

Post a Comment