Monday, October 27, 2014

Middle Lessons: Some Revelations from the Halfway Point to Graduation

As I'm a little over halfway through my collegiate career (gulp), I've reflected on both personal and academic life lessons that (hopefully?) mean something, and that I can take with me through my post-graduate life. I haven't had the most traditional of college experiences, but looking back on past journal entries, blogs, and memories, I realize that even throughout my mundane "eat, sleep, homework" days, I was constantly experiencing some sort of change, usually for the better, except for that whole black hair thing. I'm not saying that college makes you a completely changed person, but, at the very least, it's made me more reflective on what lessons I'm gaining from the craziness that is Penn State.

1) Bring a stuffed animal.
Okay, so it doesn't have to be a stuffed animal, but bring something from home that's comforting, but your freshman-year-self declares yourself too old for. It's tempting to start fresh with a hip, ever so grownup dorm, but it's just nice to know that if you're lonely or want something fluffy to sleep with, the option is there. I've bonded with my pillow pet Ernest for two years now, and he's heard some pretty dark secrets. Not that I talk to inanimate objects, noooo.
He hasn't failed me yet.
2) Feminists can wear sparkly eye makeup too.
So I'm not gonna get into a full-fledged feminism argument here, but basically I've realized that up until college, I resisted labeling myself as a feminist because I didn't want to cut my hair short or get rid of glittery eyeliner. It took a little while, but after taking a women's studies class and hearing my classmates' views on feminism, I realized that it's much more broad than hating men and becoming lesbians. I essentially realized that I could *gasp* do things that extended past wearing pointy shoes and low-cut dresses. It's a strange feeling, liberation.

3) Your best friend will be your saving grace many times.
While it's great to expand your horizons and make new friends and be social and shit, don't underestimate the power of a best friend. I've been fortunate enough to have lived with my best friend for three years of college, and while we've certainly had spats about the horrible odor that comes from my shoes roommate issues, it's comforting to have someone who has known you for nine years nearby. There's a level of understanding you just don't instantaneously get with a new friend. I don't know what I do without someone who doesn't bat an eye at my random meowing or screaming "I HATE STYLE SHEETS!", much less join in on the insane eccentric behavior.

3) Dating doesn't necessarily mean a relationship.
Okay, so I haven't exactly put this one into practice, but observing, dare I say it, grownup relationships has made me realize just how absurd the "he said, she said"s of high school are. Looking back, I cringe that I thought it was perfectly normal to be with my high school boyfriend before even going out on a date. This isn't so much a college rule as it is a growing up rule. It's fine, expected even, to explore your horizons without committing yourself to labels before you can even say "hey, wanna grab some dinner?" It takes the pressure off simply talking and getting to know someone.

4) Force yourself to do something.
Not in a dangerous way, just in an...adventurous way. When else can you do something a little risky and claim it as "part of the growing experience"? It can be tempting to fall into the trap of complacency, especially for me, as I'm college-ing in my hometown. But some of my craziest, most impulsive moments have turned out to be the best ones. Backpacking with a bunch of fellow freshmen probably isn't something I would have signed up to do if I weren't trying to build my character (or something), but there's something about being smelly and scared and tired together that makes freshmen bonding more memorable. And as for impulsive moment number two, that tattoo incident, my wallet may be angry at me, but I feel a lot more badass. There's so many times where I've wished I could be that person who pulls things off, but sometimes you have to stop wishing and realize you can be that person, tattoos or no tattoos.




5) It's okay to stop self reflecting.
This has quite possibly been the hardest lesson for me to learn. Since kindergarten, when other kids were playing in the sandbox and catching each others' "cooties," I was all "I wonder how I've matured and progressed today?" It's all fine and good to be self aware and all, but once that self-awareness gets in the way of letting go and enjoying yourself, that's when you have to realize it's okay to turn your brain off. The world won't come crashing down if you don't have your next twenty years planned. Yes, I realize that I'm reflecting on self-reflection, but hey, no one changed twenty year old habits in a day, did they? 


I'm sure that I'll discover plenty more life lessons in the next year and a half, but as of now, the most important life lesson I've gained from college is that you shouldn't take yourself so seriously. And that one should never underestimate the importance of coffee, of course.

Namaste. 


No comments:

Post a Comment