Thursday, December 6, 2012

App-lying oneself to life

I'm in the middle of a strange generation. I'm old enough to remember the times when Walkmen were the next big thing since Michael Jackson and when cassettes were so hip and high tech that anyone who had one practically shattered with coolness. Yet I'm young enough to be enthused by an app that allows a phone to feed you breakfast (which hasn't been invented yet but Apple I'm looking at you). I see the usefulness, however minute, in translating "hello, how are you?" Into cat meows and squeals. With the recent purchase of an iPhone, I can already further understand the obsession with all things technology and why teens scream "noooo, my life is ruined! Ruined, I tell you! I have to live in the dark ages!" And while I'm an appreciator of writing a blog post with one finger, I'm still aware that I'm getting sucked into the black hole of addiction. So I'm making a pact with my more nature-attuned self to not become completely reliant on apps and widgets and to instead work to keep books from going extinct. I enjoy a good game of draw something every now and again, but I also enjoy reading by a fire (presuming it's an intentional fire), sitting in nature and just...being. You don't need an app to be.
Namaste.















5 comments:

  1. Even if the medium of physical paper may one day become extinct, Google has decided to copy every book known to man to a digital format, for prosperity. Because Google is actually cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But there's something about that old book smell, you know? I enjoy the idea of having the physical book in your hands, rather than squinting at a screen. It would, however, be nice to save paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The joyful smell of books is actually composed of its decomposing

    bindings http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/the-science-of-old-book-smell_b57550

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're bringing me down, man, bringing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death smells good, and Killing is fun.

    ReplyDelete